Data has now been released from the Residential and Workplace Mobility, and Implications for Travel survey, which was conducted in October 2008 (cat. no. 3240.0).
The publication provides a range of information on people in NSW and Victoria including:
- demographic characteristics of movers and non-movers;
- the reasons why people changed their usual residence;
- the reasons why people changed their current suburb of employment;
- and the modes of transport typically used to travel to the current suburb of employment.
Other Australian Bureau of Statistic (ABS) resources relating to the topic include:
- Locations of Work, Australia, Nov 2008, cat. no. 6275.0
- Labour Mobility, Australia, Feb 2008, cat. no. 6209.0
- Housing Choices, NSW, Oct 2004, cat. no. 3240.1
- Population Mobility, Victoria, Oct 1999, cat. no. 3237.2
- Transport Patterns and Preferences, New South Wales, October 1996, cat. no. 9201.1
- Travel to Work, School and Shops, Victoria, October 1994, cat. no. 9201.2
Another interesting resource: The NSW Ministry of Transport's Journey to Work 2006 publication provides information to assist those using the Transport Data Centre's 2006 Journey to Work dataset. This data is derived from place of work and other employment information collected in the ABS's Census of Population and Housing.